When you think about moving, the stress of packing and transporting your belongings – your life – to a new house or apartment brings up many things to think about. Obviously, it’s a necessary hassle, with a lot of planning, packing, and the physical effort of moving everything. Of course, one of the most important things to decide is which vehicle to use. Can you just use you own car or do you need to hire a moving truck or company? There is no short answer to any of these questions other than “it depends.” In this post we’ll look at the four vehicle options together with their advantages and disadvantages to help your determine which option is best when that all-important (but often dreaded) moving day arrives.
1. Hiring a Moving Company
Sometimes you may just have a lot of items to pack and move that doing it yourself can be tiring, laborious and unsafe. That is where a moving company comes in. Not only will their service come with a huge truck, but they also have professional movers who are highly skilled and sufficiently equipped to pack and transport large items quickly and safely.
- They will bring a huge truck that can move everything in a single trip with no need to make multiple trips using cars or vans, saving you time.
- Professional movers can handle every aspect of moving for you, even loading and unloading heavy furniture, making it the safest option.
- Moving companies will pack, load, transport and unload your stuff in a professional manner and protect your possessions for worry-free moving.
- Hiring a moving company is expensive when compared to other options like using your own car or just hiring a truck.
- You don’t have the luxury to do everything at your own pace, since the movers will be on a schedule and you have to adhere to it.
2. Renting a Cargo Truck
When people have a lot of large, heavy furniture but don’t have the budget to hire a moving company, they just hire a cargo/moving track from companies like U-Haul. Most companies usually also have equipment you can hire, such as sliders, lifting straps and hand trucks, to handle the furniture. What’s more, this DIY option also allows you to invite some friends over when you need a little extra help with lifting.
- The trucks are big and can carry a lot of large, heavy items, meaning you don’t have to worry much about space and weight.
- Cheaper than a moving company because you are usually charged by the day for the truck instead of by the hour in the case of movers.
- You have freedom to pick a perfectly sized truck that you feel will be able to handle the moving job.
- Gas may cost a lot, especially if you are traveling a long distance, since trucks consume more fuel than cars.
- Driving a moving truck that is loaded with a lot of heavy items can be a challenge, especially in traffic and bad weather.
3. Asking a Friend with a Truck
If you have a friend that has a truck who wouldn’t mind helping you move, then asking them is a no-brainer. Not only do you get a free moving truck, but the friend can actually help you move the heavy items as well. Just remember that this is no small ask, so be prepared to either return the favor one day or reward them for their help.
- You get a moving truck for free, with no daily fees or any other contractual obligations.
- You get extra help when moving, which can expedite the moving process.
- You don’t get the luxury of choosing your own perfectly sized truck.
- If it takes the whole day to move or the new place is far, it might be a huge imposition.
- You might be putting your friend at risk of injury, especially back injuries, when they have to help lift heavy items.
4. Using Your Own Car
When you don’t have huge furniture and can fit your entire belongings into some boxes, then using your own car is the perfect option. You don’t even need much help with this option, but if you have a friend, I’m sure they wouldn’t mind helping you pack and carry a few boxes to your car.
- Perfect for when you don’t have a lot stuff, meaning you don’t need spend money hiring a truck.
- Good for transporting breakable and irreplaceable items such as expensive gadgets and fine china according to your requirements.
- You can take all the time you need in the world and pack at your own pace, since you’re not being charged per hour or day.
- Your car has a lot of weight and size limitations when compared to truck.
- Transporting large, heavy furniture using a car is very risky, especially if you end up in heavy traffic or harsh weather.
- Might require multiple trips if you have many items, which can burn a lot of gas and be very tiring.